I love making this crustless quiche for breakfast. It’s great for on the go, because you can make a whole pan for the week (I double the recipe usually), and just pack it for a snack, part of a lunch, or breakfast. I like it cold, but then again, I eat everything cold. You can also make these into individual servings, by baking in muffin tins (they will cook faster).
I love that this breakfast is easy, but I also love it because it gets some veggies, protein and healthy fats in, to start your day off right. This combination will help you feel energized and satiated.
I’ve made this a few different ways, with different “crusts”. One version was with thin, raw sliced potatoes, lining the bottom and sides of the pan. Another variation was using leftover plain cooked rice, which I pressed into the bottom and sides to make a crust. Some easy flavor variations include adding pesto and/or salsa.
The filling possibilities as really endless! Pick a meat if you have/ want one (ham, leftover burger, cooked bacon, deli or fresh turkey, etc), pick a cheese and then pick whatever veggies you can find. Frozen veggies work great for this recipe, because they are precooked, chopped and always on hand. I usually thaw them a bit and chop them up smaller.
Using pasture raised eggs, or at least some local eggs from chickens who have eaten from the ground, can greatly increase the nutritive value of this dish. Pasture raised eggs have been shown to have upwards of 19 times more omega 3 content, compared to conventional store bought eggs! That’s from all the bugs the chickens eat, by the way. So the diet of the chicken, is what you’re really interested in. The more outside foraging the chicken does, the greater the nutritive value of both the chicken and its eggs.
BASIC SPINACH QUICHE RECIPE
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach (or 1/2 cup frozen and thawed, with water squeezed out)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or garlic powder)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non dairy milk or regular full fat milk
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Beat the eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, pesto or salsa (if using), and milk together, with a fork
- Stir in the cheese
- Spray a 9″ pie dish with oil, or grease with butter
- Cook your meat, if adding
- If using raw veggies, cook these as well. If using frozen, thaw them and chop them
- Spread all your various precooked meats and veggies in the bottom of the dish
- Dump your egg mixture on top
- Bake for about 30 mins, until golden brown